Thursday, January 3, 2013

*MY* Vodka Tomato Cream Penne..


I LOVE Vodka Tomato Cream Sauce. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. This past weekend, I wanted to make myself a nice lunch, but hadn't gone grocery shopping yet. LUCKILY, because my parents were just here for Christmas we have a giant bottle of Vodka. 

...and so began the adventures of making VODKA TOMATO CREAM SAUCE!!!!!

Okay, so here are my ingredients
...
  • Vodka
  • Garlic
  • Heavy Cream
  • Chicken Broth (not pictured)
  • Diced Tomatoes
  • Butter
  • Shallots
  • Red Pepper
  • Freshly grated Mozzarella (not pictured)
  • Tomato Paste  (not pictured)

First, I diced up one shallot (I love my pieces of garlic, shallot, onions to be larger... as you can see in the picture. My hubby likes them smaller... this is an ongoing argument for the decades.)

I added a tablespoon of butter, and a little bit of olive oil. Let it melt and then added the shallots and 3 cloves of minced garlic.

It took them about 6 minutes for me to feel they had reached the "sauteed' potential.

Once I felt we had reached that point, I started building my sauce.

NEXT... I added my diced tomatoes and vodka.. which I let simmer for 10 minutes. Wanted to cook out some of the Vodka.

After, I added a little bit of Chicken Broth (about 1/2 a cup) and the cream. Seeing that the broth was a little too "liquidy" and I didn't want to blend it (I like chunky sauce) I added about 1 tablespoon of tomato paste.  OH, also added the red pepper flakes. I added about 1/4 teaspoon, I'd say?

Then, I allowed it to simmer for about 2-3 minutes.  After the sauce was "bubbling" I added my cooked Penne...

Then...I added fresh Mozzerrela and sttirrreeeeddd it into the pasta. 

AND... that's it! Homemade yummy Vodka Tomato Cream Sauce!!


Recipe:
  • Vodka (1/3 cup)
  • Garlic (2-3 garlic cloves. I always over do it... so it's up to you. I just LOVE garlic)
  • Heavy Cream (1/2 cup)
  • Diced Tomatoes  (1 can)
  • Butter (1 tablespoon)
  • Shallots (1)
  • Red Pepper (not pictured) 1/4 teaspoon)
  • Fresh Mozzarella (not pictured) (AS MUCH AS YOU WANT!)
-Add 1 tablespoon to pan, and heat with Olive Oil (1/2 tablespoon). Once Butter melts..
-Add Shallots and sauteed 4-6 minutes.....
-Add Can of Diced tomatoes (undrained) and Vodka...
-Simmer for about 10 minutes...
-Add Chicken Broth, Red Pepper Flakes,  and Cream... bring to a bubble.
-Add Tomato Paste as needed to thicken the sauce...
-Simmer 2-3 minutes, bring to a bubble...
-Mix in cooked pasta...
-Add Mozzarella cheese and MIX to cheesy goodness :)

Enjoy! :)

XOXOX,
-Squishy

No comments:

Post a Comment