Wednesday, January 2, 2013

BBQ Pork Ribs AND Cilantro Lime Chicken...

Well HELLO everyone! Today's post is going to be two reviews in one, because I didn't post yesterday about our dinner.

First of all... can I just tell you I found my NEW FAVORITE PRODUCT IN THE ENTIRE WORLD today? It is the Trader Joe's Salted Caramel Chai Tea Latte Mix.

I am a CHAI lover.. and holy cow this is DELISH! I ran out of my Chai mix from Tastefully Simple... which is DELISH as well, and when I was at the store today picked it up. It is yummmyyy.  SO now.. I will always have this and my Tastefully Simple Chai mix on hand. (OH! Promotion time.. my friend sells Tastefully Simple, so here is here website.. ya know, in case you want to buy awesome things. Awesome. Things. )

Okay so onto the reviews...

Yesterday's dinner was the BBQ Crock Pot Ribs. This recipe is as follows (borrowed from the wonderful blog of... Six Sisters' Stuff.)

Slow Cooker BBQ Spareribs
Ingredients:
1-2 lbs of country-style pork ribs
1 1/2 cups ketchup
1 1/2 Tablespoons seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
Directions:
Place pork in resealable gallon-sized freezer bag. Mix remaining ingredients together in a bowl and pour over pork. Mix together in bag and zip closed.
When ready to eat, remove from freezer and thaw in fridge for 24 hours. Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 6-7 hours. 

Now let me start out by saying.... I do not like ribs, and I do not care for Pork. My HUSBAND however, LOVES ribs and pork. Now... maybe HE should be writing this review?

He LOVED these. I did not care for them.. but I think that mainly had to do with the fact that the crock pot fell over when I was removing the ribs from the pot... and the hot oil/grease of death fell onto my foot and burnt the living *(@&(@&@ out of it.

I have been such a baby about the burn all day. 

I've been limping around like Quasimodo... and those "feel sorry" for me eyes... *bat....bat*.
Now.. I didn't take pictures of the final product.  I will do so from now on.... so instead of a picture of the frozen food, here is a picture of a pig. 



Wilbur... you just don't do it for me. I wish I liked eating you.... maybe its because you are so smart and have a friend that's a Spider, but this BBQ Pork Rib recipe is getting the AXE in my rotation.
THE GRADE OF THE SQUISHY: C-, Hubby LIKED it.. so that means something. But it burnt the *(@&(@* out of me, and I don't like ribs, so I really didn't care for it. 


OH, I forgot to add. I had a sweet potato on the side.. with some cinnamon and brown sugar. I wrapped it in tin foil and threw it in my other crock pot for 5 hours. EASY way to make a baked sweet potato.
NOW.. ON TO REVIEW # 2.... (*dramatic music...maybe?*)
I am obsessed with everything Mexican food. No really. I am. I could eat Mexican food every day, without question.  My parents moved to TX, and literally the only places we will eat when I visit is Mexican. There's a place down in Houston that sells FILET FAJITAS. FILET!!! And their table side guac is so good.....
I may have to visit my parents just to go there again. The name of the restaurant is.... AH HA! I found it.  Escalante's Mexican Restaurant... 
Anyways, I made Cilantro Lime Chicken tonight. This recipe was adapted from Six Sisters' Stuff AGAIN. I am in love with their blog. Seriously.. go look. Well, FIRST read the rest of post...THEN go look.  

Recipe is as follows-



Cilantro Lime Chicken w/ Corn and Black Beans
Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts
Juice from 2 limes
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
1 (16 oz) bag frozen corn
2 minced garlic cloves
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp cumin 
salt and pepper to taste
Directions: 
Place all ingredients in a resealable gallon-sized freezer bag. Mix together and zip bag closed.
When ready to eat, remove from freezer and thaw in fridge for 24 hours. Cook on LOW for 8 hours (or HIGH for 4 hours). 
Serve with tortillas and toppings such as with sour cream, guacamole, salsa, and cheese.

AFTER it cooked- I shredded the chicken. THEN.. I put some Flour Tortillas in the oven for about 5 minutes to eat up (our microwave no longer works.... bleck).  Served with Sour Cream and Cheese. Hubby ate it with just hot sauce.
Our thoughts: DELISH! Seriously.. that flavor on the chicken was amazing. Awesome pants of a meal. Here are my tweaks though.... that my hubby and I both agreed on. 
1- Less Corn. There was SO much of it. 
2- Less Black Beans..... 1 can doesn't sound like a lot... but it was. 
**I will put in a little more than half a bag of corn and beans next time*
3- It was missing something. We concluded that Peppers need to be added, and that serving with freshly made salsa would have given it that added awesome-ness.
THE GRADE OF THE SQUISHY: B+
This will def. stay in the rotation, and next time I will make just a few minor tweaks. Seriously though, it was soo good. AND VERY FILLING. 
And since I don't have a picture to show you of this...  check out Snoopy at Knotts farm, celebrating a Mexican Fiesta!!! 
    
Tomorrow... we are having Honey Dijon Chicken..

Goodnight Blog World. XOXOXOX

-Squishy

No comments:

Post a Comment